Monday, May 9, 2011

Open Sesame

Recently my hubs & I went to California to visit with family for a few days and then celebrate our 3rd anniversary.  We spent our special day on Catalina Island, as he had never been and it has been YEARS since I was there.  (As a side note, I'm glad they let me return because the last time I was there, I had a few too many cocktails and had a field day at the local karaoke bar...R-E-S-P-E-C-T never sounded so bad!)

We were both enamored with this little island paradise.  This is what we saw as we arrived via ferry.  Doesn't it look a little like a European port?
 So charming!  Even in the overcast weather.


We rented electric bikes (neither of us felt like getting a workout trying to maneuver the hills with a regular bike) and headed up to the Wrigley Memorial & Conservancy:
The Wrigley Memorial honors the memory of William Wrigley Jr., who lived from 1861 to 1932. Although best known as the founder of the Wm. Wrigley Jr. Company, largest manufacturer of chewing gum in the world, he also played an instrumental role in the history of Catalina Island. He truly loved the island, and READ MORE

Once we got up the 999,999 stairs, this was the view.  We had to pause to catch our breath. Confession:  the main reason we opted for the electric bikes is because we're horribly out of shape right now.  The trek up the stairs confirmed it.

Say cheese:
My true love.
And here is the "design-ish" portion of this blog post (had to get it in SOMEWHERE) because I was in love with these doors and was the inspiration for the blog title.  I took about 20 other photos but I think this is my favorite.  I just love the idea that once you cross the threshold you're somewhere else.  And between the ornate doors and the stairs, my imagination goes wild.
 Look at the detail!!!


So once we got up even MORE stairs through those doors (you can't see, but you make a right hand turn and go up another flight), this is what you see inside the memorial.  Gorgeous, isn't it?


And finally after a few more cheesy photos of ourselves that I'll spare you from, we came back down into "town" as it was time for lunch.  Sadly, it remained overcast but on the bright side (pun intended) it didn't get very hot as we "pedaled" our way around the island.


We ate at The Lobster Trap, which was delish and the perfect ending to a perfect day.  Props to the team there for amazing food & service.


If you are looking for a quaint vacation spot, this place is full of B&B's.  We might just return on our next anniversary...and never come home.  

(Oh, and in case you're wondering, no, I did not get paid or perked to plug the island!)



No comments:

Post a Comment