Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Minimize Your Kitchen Clutter


I don't know about you, but my house is a little topsy-turvy right now. We are still wrapping presents, our Christmas tree has displaced some small furnishings which are now strategically placed so they are not in the way and yet are still in the room, AND our holiday baking has commenced so the kitchen is a little busier than usual. So even just a tiny bit of sanity that helps now (and throughout the year) is to designate a space for "in use" cups. A friend of mine used to do this when we were roomies and at the time I didn't really understand why since it was just she & I, but in hindsight and with a family of my own now, I can see the evolution - since she grew up in a house with eleven (yes, I said eleven) kids.

This was taken from this month's Real Simple magazine and is a real lifesaver around our home:

Create a special spot on the kitchen counter where everyone can put half-filled coffee mugs that need to be reheated, water glasses to be used again later, or sippy cups that can be refilled. At the end of the day, put everything that's still out into the dishwasher. It cuts down on kitchen clutter, and it also avoids shouts across the house of "Are you done with that coffee yet?"

No comments:

Post a Comment